Medical professionals should be trusted to provide care that is safe and effective. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for practitioners to deliver care that is below the accepted standard. When substandard medical care results in injuries and other damages, patients likely have grounds to file a medical malpractice claim. The same is true for those who receive substandard dental care.
Individuals in the Oklahoma City, OK, area who have suffered personal injuries following negligent dental care can work with the medical malpractice lawyers at the Tawwater Law Firm, PLLC, to file a dental malpractice claim and pursue financial compensation for related losses.
Common Types of Dental Malpractice
Like any other medical professional, dentists, dental hygienists, and other dental health care providers are expected to deliver care that upholds the accepted standard, which is the degree of care that would be provided by similarly trained dental professionals. When a dental professional neglects to provide the accepted standard of care, physical injuries and emotional and financial damages can occur.
Although many dental procedures carry a minimal degree of risk, complications can occur when dental professionals are negligent. Some of the most common types of dental malpractice among our Oklahoma City clients include:
- Anesthesia errors
- Injuries to oral nerves
- Tooth extraction complications
- Root canal injuries
- Complications with dental restorations, such as dental bridges or crowns
- Failure to diagnose oral cancer
- Wrongful death
Proving Dental Malpractice
Proving a claim of dental malpractice is the same as proving a claim of medical malpractice. The plaintiff must be able to demonstrate three key components:
- A doctor/patient relationship existed between the plaintiff and defendant
- The defendant breached their duty of care by delivering care that fell below the accepted standard
- The plaintiff suffered physical, emotional, and/or financial damages that were a direct cause of the breached duty of care
Evidence in Dental Malpractice Cases
Proving a dental malpractice claim can be complicated, because dental professionals are unlikely to admit fault, and they often have an experienced legal team ready to work on their behalf. Dental malpractice victims in the Oklahoma City area should work with our medical malpractice lawyers to strengthen their dental malpractice case. Our legal team gathers extensive evidence to substantiate dental malpractice claims. Common types of evidence in a dental malpractice case include:
- Copy of written informed consent for any treatments performed
- Dental records (including diagnosis, treatment plans, treatment notes, etc.)
- Copies of communications between the patient and dentist
- Photographs documenting injuries
- Witness statements from individuals who saw the procedure or its effects
- Testimony from a similarly trained dental professional
Dental Malpractice Damages
Victims of dental malpractice have the right to pursue financial compensation for the full extent of losses related to substandard dental care, including economic and non-economic damages. Common areas of compensation in a dental malpractice case include:
- Medical and dental expenses
- Cost of necessary follow-up dental care
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
Contact Our Law Firm
If you have suffered injuries or other complications following dental treatment, the medical malpractice lawyers at the Tawwater Law Firm, PLLC, can determine if you have grounds for a dental malpractice claim. To discuss your case with our legal team, send us a message online, or call us at (405) 607-1400.