The Risk of Auto Accidents at Stop Signs
Stop sign related accidents are common throughout the United States. These accidents can cause serious, life changing injuries. When injuries are sustained in a car accident caused by someone else’s negligence, the injured parties may be entitled to compensation for damages. This is why it is important to seek the assistance of an expert car accident attorney.
The attorneys of the Tawwater Law Firm are experienced in seeking damages for those involved in auto accidents caused by running stop signs in the Oklahoma City, OK area. If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, the experienced car accident attorneys of the Tawwater Law Firm are here to help you in your time of need.
What Causes Stop Sign Related Car Accidents?
Stop sign related car accidents could happen for a number of reasons. By understanding the most common causes of stop sign related car accidents, you can help protect yourself from another driver's mistakes, and prevent an accident yourself. Here are some common causes of stop sign related car accidents:
- Driver distraction, such as talking on a cell phone or texting
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Obstructed view
- Obstructed stop sign
- Not properly checking for oncoming traffic
- Misjudging the speed at which another motorist is driving
- Not stopping
- Driving too fast
- Aggressive driving
Types of Stop Sign Accidents
There are different types of accidents that may occur at stop signs, which include:
- Two-way stops: A two-way stop collision may occur when one driver decides to turn while the other driver goes straight at the same time.
- Four-way stops: At a four-way stop, a collision may happen when one or more drivers do not follow the proper right-of-way or a driver fails to stop at all.
- Side impact collisions: A side impact collision may result at a stop sign when one driver turns while another proceeds to go straight.
- Rear-end collisions: Rear-end collisions can happen when a car is stopped at a stop sign and another driver runs into the back of the stopped car because the driver didn't see the stopped motorist or was driving too fast to stop in time.
Stop Sign Accidents and Liability
It can be difficult to determine who is at fault in a stop sign accident. In rear-end collisions, liability is easier to determine, but in other types of collisions at stop signs, the party at fault may not always be obvious. Having witnesses can help determine liability, but when no witnesses are present, both parties may be held equally responsible.
Compensation for Damages
Stop sign related car accidents could result in serious injuries or even death. Injuries may be as minor as some bruising and cuts and scrapes or as serious as a traumatic brain injury, damage to the internal organs, or spinal cord injuries.
Those who have been injured in a stop sign accident due to someone else's negligence may be entitled to compensation for damages. Damages may include compensation for damaged property, medical expenses, lost wages, loss of future wages and earning potential, as well as pain and suffering.
It is important for those who have been injured in a car accident to contact an experienced car accident lawyer in order to receive the greatest compensation for their injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer will seek out the necessary documentation, such as medical records and documentation of loss of wages, to support the client's claims and help gain compensation for damages.
Contact the Car Accident Attorneys of the Tawwater Law Firm
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, you're encouraged to contact our car accident attorneys today.