Get the Facts on Medical Malpractice Statistics
Most people think of the medical field as one that requires experience, competency, and caring attitude. While this is what we should expect from our healthcare professionals, this type of care is not always what is provided. Medical errors and the occurrence of medical malpractice are more frequent than many would imagine. At Tawwater Law Firm, PLLC, our attorneys have represented many cases of medical malpractice that have resulted in serious financial and emotional damages. We know the unfortunate medical malpractice statistics and offer our Oklahoma City clients aggressive representation when they have been victims of such medical errors.
Medical Malpractice Statistics
It is a common assumption that the occurrence of medical malpractice cases is extremely rare. However, medical malpractice actually occurs with surprising frequency. Many patients are negatively impacted each year by the error, incompetence, or blatant neglect of a doctor or other healthcare professional. Below are some startling statistics regarding medical malpractice:
- A medical report conducted by the Institute of Medicine (or IOM) found that medical mistakes cost hospitals around $3.5 billion each year
- Another report conducted by IOM found that preventable medical errors result in between 50,000 and 100,000 deaths each year
- Roughly 60 percent of plaintiffs in medical malpractice cases are female
- About one-fifth of victims of medical malpractice are newborn babies
- A little over 10 percent of medical malpractice patients are seniors
- Surgical errors are the most common type of inpatient medical malpractice lawsuits
- The most common complaint of medical malpractice for out-care patients is errors in diagnosis
The statistics clearly show that medical malpractice is a very real problem that could affect any one of our clients.
There are some statistics regarding the outcome of medical malpractice cases. When the defendant is found to be at fault, plaintiffs are likely to receive significant compensation. The average compensation offered to victims of medical malpractice settlements is about $400,000, with patients who are awarded compensation from a jury typically being awarded about twice that amount. What these statistics show is that it is important to be represented by a skilled and experienced attorney who has a deep knowledge of medical malpractice laws. Our attorneys have decades of experience in medical malpractice cases and have a proven record of success in these cases. We have helped countless patients receive significant financial compensation for the emotional and financial damages of medical malpractice.
If you or a loved one has been injured as the result of medical malpractice, or if a loved one has been the victim of wrongful death as the result of medical error or negligence, contact us at your earliest convenience to discuss the details of your case. We have the knowledge and experience to determine the most appropriate course of legal action and would be happy to help you through this trying time. We look forward to hearing from you.