Knowing What to Do After an Accident Can Help Build a Stronger Case
Immediately After Your Accident
If you do not have serious or life-threatening injuries following a car accident, you should:
- Call 911: Even if you are not hurt, call the police. A police report will help establish who is at fault, so be sure to obtain a copy of the report.
- Do not admit fault: Apologizing for the accident can be seen as an admission of fault. Refrain from saying "sorry" even if you think the accident was your fault.
- Exchange information: This includes the other driver's name, address, phone number, driver's license number, and insurance information. If the other driver is not insured, do not agree to a cash settlement.
- Take pictures: Get photos of damage to both vehicles and other property. Also take photos of injuries that resulted from the accident. These images will help us build a stronger case.
- Collect witnesses: Get the name and contact information of any bystanders who saw what happened during the accident.
- Seek medical attention: Even if you do not have any noticeable injuries, you should see a doctor. Many injuries, like traumatic brain injury, are not immediately noticeable but can have serious lifelong consequences.
- Call a lawyer: Delaying legal action could affect the outcome of your case. Schedule a consultation with a lawyer to determine whether you can file a personal injury lawsuit before the statute of limitations expires.
Do not sign anything or settle with an insurance company until you have discussed your case with a lawyer.
Hiring a Lawyer vs. Settling Your Claim
Although it can be tempting to settle your claim with an insurance company, it is important to remember that an insurance company is only interested in protecting themselves and their clients. They want to pay the lowest compensation possible.
Alternatively, a lawyer is interested in protecting your best interests and helping you recover the maximum compensation possible. We work with medical experts and life care planners to determine how your injury will affect you for the rest of your life. A lawyer with our firm can also help you recover compensation for non-physical losses including pain and suffering.
Why Hire Our Firm?
At the Tawwater Law Firm, our attorneys understand how stressful and traumatic a car accident can be for you and your family. For this reason, we offer:
- Complimentary case evaluations: We will listen to the facts of your case and work quickly to determine whether we are the best firm to help you.
- Contingency fee-based representation: You do not have to pay unless and until we recover the compensation you deserve.
- Payment for litigation-related expenses: We will track your expenses and deduct them from any money that we are able to recover.
We provide these incentives for our clients so that you can focus on your recovery while we focus on your case.
Get More Helpful Answers Today
Immediately after an accident, do not admit fault, collect as much evidence as you can, and get medical care before contacting a lawyer. Before settling with an insurance company, contact our firm to discuss your case with a legal professional. Schedule your free consultation today by calling us at (405) 607-1400 or contacting us online.