Choose a Surgical Error Attorney Who Stands Up for Your Rights
If a preventable surgical error has harmed you or a loved one, Tawwater Law Firm can provide you with an exceptional surgical error attorney in Oklahoma City, OK. The attorneys at firm have decades of experience successfully handling all types of medical malpractice cases, and understand the intricate details of surgical protocols. To build your case, we can identify the surgical error, ascertain the reason it occurred, and determine whether reasonable steps could have been taken to prevent it. In these cases, it is vital to seek legal counsel as quickly as possible. Contact our office today to schedule your free initial consultation and learn more about your next possible legal steps.
Identifying Surgical Errors
Surgeries are performed under strict health and safety protocols to protect patients. While it is important to understand that not every unfavorable post-surgical outcome stems from medical malpractice, there are still situations where victims should hold responsible parties accountable. Mistakes can occur due to a surgical team’s negligence or incompetence, which can have devastating consequences for the patient and their loved ones.
Severe errors can occur during a surgery, such as:
- Misidentifying the surgical location: This type of mistake can include performing surgery on the incorrect limb, operating in the wrong part of the body or head, or making an incision at the wrong site, among other errors.
- Injuring a critical organ or other tissue: Sometimes, a nearby organ can be damaged during surgery, or a major nerve or artery can be accidentally severed. This damage can lead to lasting health issues in the future.
- Removing the incorrect body part: In some cases, the wrong organ is removed during a procedure, leaving patients forever altered while the necessary treatment has not been completed.
- Anesthesia errors: These errors can occur when the anesthesiologist administers an incorrect dosage of sedative or fails to take into account if the patient is allergic to any particular medicine.
- Failing to prevent and treat infection: Surgery can put patients at risk of developing hospital-acquired infections. Medical staff members have a duty to provide adequate post-operative care, including preventing and properly treating infections and other complications.
- Early discharge: Discharging the patient before they have healed sufficiently can lead to future complications and the need for further treatment.
- Leaving surgical instruments behind: Negligently leaving a surgical instrument inside the patient requires future surgical procedures an unnecessary health risks and suffering for the victim.
- Reckless or ill-advised surgery: Making a reckless decision during the surgery that harms the patient or carrying out an unnecessary surgery can have severe effects on a patient.
- Unnecessary delay: Delaying the surgery without cause can lead to serious complications because the patient does not receive the treatment they need.
Common Surgeries in Medical Malpractice Suits
If any member of the surgical team does not meet the standard of care expected of healthcare professionals, the patient can sustain injuries. The Tawwater Law Firm represents clients injured in a range of surgical procedures, such as:
- Hip replacement
- Plastic surgery
- Surgery of the hand, leg, arm, or back
- Organ transplants
- Brain surgery
- Bariatric surgery
- Bypass and transplant heart surgery
Potential Consequences of Surgical Errors
All surgical procedures inherently carry some degree of risk, but negligence on the part of a medical professional can have devastating, even deadly, consequences, such as:
- Infection that is resistant to antibiotics
- Damage caused to internal organs or to limbs
- Loss of limbs
- Brain damage
- Wrongful death
The consequences of surgical errors can cost the patient dearly, and make it necessary for them to prolong medical treatment or undergo corrective surgery. These complications also mean the patient is unable to work or earn wages for a longer time, and is forced to make further lifestyle changes. In the tragic case of an untimely death of a loved one caused by a surgical errors, the impact on the family members of the deceased party can be devastating. The victim may have been the main source of income for the household, and in the event of their death, the dependents are deprived of vital financial support, as well as love and companionship.
Determining Fault and Establishing Liability
If you have been affected after you have undergone a procedure, or you have lost a loved one during surgery, you may be confused about who to turn to during this difficult time. In instances where sub-standard care is to blame, our attorneys can help. Our team is dedicated to holding negligent or responsible parties accountable for your injuries and suffering. When you choose as your legal representative, we can start building your case with thorough research into your claim. We use advanced techniques and resources to investigate the cause of your injury, and gather pertinent evidence.
Our team of medical malpractice attorneys can analyze all of your surgical and medical history records. We can also bring in experts to determine whether a surgeon or other care provider is at fault by carefully reviewing test results and other data. Depending on the extent of your injuries, your dedicated attorney can seek damages for:
- Current medical and hospital bills
- Future rehabilitation cost
- Loss of wages
- Decreased potential for income
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Fair compensation for the dependents of the deceased party
In many states, damages after a wrongful death are recoverable only by the spouse and children of the victim, but in Oklahoma, compensation can also be recovered by the parents of the deceased. In addition, parents can secure damages whether the victim was a child or an adult at the time of death.
Our attention to detail combined with our civil litigation experience have earned us a proven track record of delivering favorable verdicts and settlements that have won our clients millions of dollars.
Why Choose Us?
Tawwater Law Firm has more than 35 years of experience representing the people of Oklahoma, and has built a reputation of protecting victims' rights against big businesses and insurance companies. Tawwater Law Firm is listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers of America, a publication where only the most distinguished law firms in the country are included. Our lawyers have earned this reputation by being focused on each individual client.
Our attention to detail combined with our civil litigation experience have earned us a proven track record of verdicts and settlements that have won our clients millions of dollars. Our record includes many large-scale cases where our lawyers have protected victims' rights against insurance companies, hospitals, and nursing home companies, as well as multinational giants such as Ford, Dow Chemical and Pfizer.
Receive a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one has been injured by a surgical mistake, you deserve compensation to help cover medical costs and cope with pain and suffering. To find out how our experienced team can help rebuild your life, contact us today for a free initial consultation. You can have confidence in our long-standing legal expertise that can seek the compensation you need to heal and rebuild your life.