Surgical Error Attorney
You and your family may feel helpless after suffering injuries resulting from a surgical error. Rest assured, you are not.
With an intricate knowledge of medical malpractice cases, a surgical error attorney with the Tawwater Law Firm can help you seek justice.
Did a surgical error cause your injuries?
Determining Whether You Have a Medical Malpractice Case
In any medical malpractice case, there must be an established patient-medical provider relationship. You must be able to demonstrate that the physician, surgeon, or healthcare provider was legally bound to provide surgical care.
Negligence Was Involved
You must also be able to prove that the surgical provider broke the duty of care that was owed to the patient.
Negligence Resulted in Injury
You need to prove that your injury was directly caused by the actions or inactions of the surgeon.
Injury Resulted in Damages
The primary purpose of a personal injury lawsuit is to recover damages for any losses incurred as a result of the injury, including medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Schedule a Free Consultation
Our medical malpractice lawyers can review the details of your case and determine whether you have a malpractice claim. We serve clients throughout Oklahoma. Call us:
A Knowledgeable Legal Team Can Help You:
Hold Negligent Parties Accountable
You may be confused about who to turn to during this difficult time. In instances where sub-standard care is to blame, our attorneys can help. Our team is dedicated to holding responsible parties accountable for your injuries and suffering. When you choose us as your legal representative, we can start building your case with thorough research into your claim.
Pursue Full & Fair Compensation
While the surgeon or hospital's insurance company may try to settle your claim for the lowest amount possible, an attorney at our Oklahoma office will fight for maximum compensation. The consequences of surgical errors can cost the patient dearly. Our attorneys are here to make certain that your losses are entirely covered in order to restore your quality of life.
Support for Survivors
In the tragic case of an untimely death of a loved one caused by a surgical error, the impact on the family members can be devastating. The victim may have been the main source of income for the household, and in the event of their death, the dependents are deprived of vital financial support, as well as love and companionship. A lawyer can work with life care planners to determine the full extent of your losses and help you secure the compensation you need.
Our Multimillion-Dollar Settlements Reflect Our Commitment to Our Clients
Our Oklahoma City law firm has been successful in cases against large hospitals, medical corporations, and healthcare providers who have breached their standard of care. As a result of our commitment to protecting injured Oklahomans, we have recovered millions of dollars in compensation in medical malpractice cases alone. Please take a moment to explore the verdicts and settlements we have secured for a range of clients.
Representing Victims with Responsive & Compassionate Service
At The Tawwater Law Firm, our lawyers work closely with each client to ensure that we are working toward the best possible solution for our client and their families. Our resources and reputation enable us to hire the nation’s leading experts in fields relevant to our cases. Our lawyers are responsive and compassionate to our clients while aggressively working on their behalf.
Identifying Surgical Errors
Surgeries are performed under strict health and safety protocols to protect patients. While it is important to understand that not every unfavorable post-surgical outcome stems from medical malpractice, there are still situations where victims should hold responsible parties accountable. Mistakes can occur due to a surgical team’s negligence or incompetence, which can have devastating consequences for the patient and their loved ones.
Severe errors can occur during a surgery, such as:
- Misidentifying the surgical location: This type of mistake can include performing surgery on the incorrect limb, operating in the wrong part of the body or head, or making an incision at the wrong site, among other errors.
- Injuring a critical organ or other tissue: Sometimes, a nearby organ can be damaged during surgery, or a major nerve or artery can be accidentally severed. This damage can lead to lasting health issues in the future.
- Removing the incorrect body part: In some cases, the wrong organ is removed during a procedure, leaving patients forever altered while the necessary treatment has not been completed.
- Anesthesia errors: These errors can occur when the anesthesiologist administers an incorrect dosage of sedative or fails to take into account if the patient is allergic to any particular medicine.
- Failing to prevent and treat infection: Surgery can put patients at risk of developing hospital-acquired infections. Medical staff members have a duty to provide adequate post-operative care, including preventing and properly treating infections and other complications.
- Early discharge: Discharging the patient before they have healed sufficiently can lead to future complications and the need for further treatment.
- Leaving surgical instruments behind: Negligently leaving a surgical instrument inside the patient requires future surgical procedures an unnecessary health risks and suffering for the victim.
- Reckless or ill-advised surgery: Making a reckless decision during the surgery that harms the patient or carrying out an unnecessary surgery can have severe effects on a patient.
- Unnecessary delay: Delaying the surgery without cause can lead to serious complications because the patient does not receive the treatment they need.
Common Surgeries in Medical Malpractice Suits
If any member of the surgical team does not meet the standard of care expected of healthcare professionals, the patient can sustain injuries. The Tawwater Law Firm represents clients injured in a range of surgical procedures, such as:
- Hip replacement
- Plastic surgery
- Surgery of the hand, leg, arm, or back
- Organ transplants
- Brain surgery
- Bariatric surgery
- Bypass and transplant heart surgery
Potential Consequences of Surgical Errors
All surgical procedures inherently carry some degree of risk, but negligence on the part of a medical professional can have devastating, even deadly, consequences, such as:
- Infection that is resistant to antibiotics
- Damage caused to internal organs or to limbs
- Loss of limbs
- Brain damage
- Wrongful death
Determining Fault and Establishing Liability
Our team of medical malpractice attorneys can analyze all of your surgical and medical history records. We can also bring in experts to determine whether a surgeon or other care provider is at fault by carefully reviewing test results and other data. Depending on the extent of your injuries, your dedicated attorney can seek damages for:
- Current medical and hospital bills
- Future rehabilitation cost
- Loss of wages
- Decreased potential for income
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Fair compensation for the dependents of the deceased party
In many states, damages after a wrongful death are recoverable only by the spouse and children of the victim, but in Oklahoma, compensation can also be recovered by the parents of the deceased. In addition, parents can secure damages whether the victim was a child or an adult at the time of death.
Our attention to detail combined with our civil litigation experience have earned us a proven track record of delivering favorable verdicts and settlements that have won our clients millions of dollars.
Why Choose Us?
Tawwater Law Firm has more than 35 years of experience representing the people of Oklahoma, and has built a reputation of protecting victims' rights against big businesses and insurance companies. Tawwater Law Firm is listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers of America, a publication where only the most distinguished law firms in the country are included. Our lawyers have earned this reputation by being focused on each individual client.
Our attention to detail combined with our civil litigation experience have earned us a proven track record of verdicts and settlements that have won our clients millions of dollars. Our record includes many large-scale cases where our lawyers have protected victims' rights against insurance companies, hospitals, and nursing home companies, as well as multinational giants such as Ford, Dow Chemical and Pfizer.