Oklahoma City, OK, Auto Accident Attorney Robert D. Baron graduated from the University of Iowa (B.A., Political Science) in 1965, and from the University of Oklahoma College of Law (J.D.) in 1968. After a year in general practice he joined the Legal Division of the (then) Oklahoma Department of Highways, where he spent the next three years trying jury cases and arguing appeals for the State in all parts of Oklahoma.
In January, 1972, he left the State Capitol and returned to private practice, joining a small, well respected firm in downtown Oklahoma City that specialized in representing people who had been injured. When that firm dissolved he became a member of a medium sized firm specializing mainly in business matters and oil and gas litigation, leaving in 1993 to return to the smaller firm practice. He has been Of Counsel to the Tawwater Law Firm, PLLC since 2006.
His practice since 1972 has been exclusively devoted to helping resolve disputes out of court where possible, in trial if not and his experience with cases and clients has been on both sides of the courtroom, and in cases from A to Z.
He has tried auto, truck and motorcycle accident cases, airplane crash cases, defective product cases, medical negligence cases, business litigation cases, property condemnation cases, prisoner rights cases, oil and gas cases and insurance industry cases.
He has argued cases before the Oklahoma Supreme Court, all three federal district courts in Oklahoma, the Ninth and Tenth U.S. Circuit Courts of Appeal, and has appeared in cases before the United States Supreme Court. He has appeared in federal courts in California, Colorado, Kansas and the District of Columbia. He has also been retained counsel in cases for employees of the United States Department of Justice.
He has served as an elected member of the Oklahoma County Bar Association Board of Directors (three separate terms); as an elected member of the Oklahoma Bar Association's House of Delegates; as a faculty member for the Oklahoma College of Advocacy and for the National Institute for Trial Advocacy; as a Lifetime Fellow of the Oklahoma Bar Foundation; as the Chairman of the Oklahoma Bar Association's Awards Committee (two separate terms); as the Treasurer of the Oklahoma Trial Lawyers Association, Editor of the Torts Column in its magazine and as Chairman of its Building Fund; as a Stalwart of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America; as a 25 year member of the American Bar Association; and as a sustaining member of Trial Lawyers for Public Justice. He has presented Continuing Legal Education programs for the Oklahoma Bar Association at its annual meetings. He is currently an appointed member of the Local Civil Rules Revision Committee of the United States District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma; he has previously served that Court as a designated Arbitrator. His community service has included an appointment by then-Governor David L. Boren to a term on the Oklahoma Human Rights Commission and four two-year terms on the Board of Directors of Historical Preservation, Inc.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Products Liability
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Oklahoma, 1968:
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Western District of Oklahoma
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Oklahoma
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1975
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Oklahoma
- University of Oklahoma College of Law, Norman, Oklahoma, 1968 - J.D.
- University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, 1965 - B.A., Political Science
- Member, Faculty, National Institute for Trial Advocacy
- Member, Faculty, Oklahoma College of Advocacy
Honors and Awards
- Lifetime Fellow, Oklahoma Bar Foundation
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member. State Human Rights Commission, 1976 - 1980
- Member, National Institute for Trial Advocacy
- Chairman, Oklahoma County Bar, Judicial Selection Sub-Committee, 1977 - 1978
- Chairman, Oklahoma County Bar, Legislation Committee, 1980 - 1981
- Member, Oklahoma County Bar Association, 1982 - 1985
- Member, Board of Directors, Oklahoma County Bar Association, 1993 - Present
- Member, Oklahoma Bar Association, Real Property Committee, 1972 - 1973
- Chairman, Oklahoma Bar Association, Awards Committee, 1984
- Chairman, Oklahoma Bar Association, Awards Committee, 1990
Past Employment Positions
- Department of Highways, Staff Attorney, 1969 - 1971
Phi Alpha Delta